Sometimes it hard to imagine what’s worse, airplane food, the ever-shrinking leg room, or waiting for your bags after an exhausting flight.
Well, with baggage prices being on the rise, now is the best time to jump on the carry-on trend. Just image, no extra charges, no lost luggage, and no waiting, staring at an escalator go round and round without your bag on it.
Here are a few tips to get you in the carry-on groove and start your vacation off right.
Pick Your Clothes
Think simple. If you’re headed to the beach, just remember you’ll spend most of your time in your bathing suit anyways. So there is no reason to bring 10 pants.
- Socks: it’s always a good idea to bring a pair of socks. If you are going somewhere where the nights are colder, bring an extra pair just in case.
- Underwear: If there is no washing machine get 1 for each day. If there is bring 4. For women pack 2 bras, one light colored and one dark.
- Bathing Suit: Bring 2 bathing suits. There is a chance you’ll buy one on your vacation anyways.
- Tops: Pack 4 tops. If you’re bringing dresses, pack only an amount to equal the days you will be gone.
- Dresses: 3 dresses and 4 tops. Or 2 dresses 5 tops. Etc
- Pajamas: One set will suffice.
- Pants/Shorts: It’s always smart to pack a pair of pants, even when going somewhere tropical. If you know it’s going to be colder at night pack 2.
- Shoes: Flip flops are essential, however, you should also pack a comfortable closed toed shoe for hikes, walks, and colder days.
It’s always good to start thinking about these things in advance. Make sure that about a week before you are getting ready to write down what you want to take, or even start packing those items you won’t need for the week. If you wait till the last minute you will over pack.
Tricks To Packing Your Clothes
Some people swear by the rolling method, while others swear by the folding method. Honestly, neither one is better than the other. In fact, what we have found in our travels is a combination of both. The best way we found is to roll your pants, underwear, and socks, while folding those items you want less creased, such as dresses, tops, t-shirts, and sweaters.
Try and wear all your bulkiest items on the flight, therefore you have more room in your carry -on. however, don’t fill up your bag, because you will most likely buy clothes, gifts, or tequila on the way home you will need to store in there.